Leg Workout to Increase Strength and Vertical
26 May 2021 0 Comments
Want to strengthen your legs?! Steven Celi can not only help you with that, but can also get your vertical up! For all those high flyers, take a look at this workout below to get some serious leg gains.
Steven will take you through this explosive workout:Depth Jumps
- Find a platform 12-24 inches.
- Step off
- Land and react to jump as fast as possible.
- The goal is to absorb the landing forces and jump as high as possible
- The added height of the box is a great way to create more natural forces
- Hold the weight by your chest and squat to parallel 90º
- Squat form
- Chest up
- Core engaged
- Stay balanced on feet dont let feet rock too far on toes. Push through but and hamstrings
- Sit your butt back
- The goal is to move with intention and explode on the way up.
- Utiilzing the hips, glutes and hamstrings in a similar range to an actual jump
- Find your lunge base at 90º
- Jump up using a large arm swing
- Alternate legs in the air and land
- Land and explode back up as fast and as high as possible
- This is a high amount of load on hips and hamstrings
- Requires a lot balance and strength!
- Great exercise to increase running and jumping speed
- Use non jumping leg to drive knee up
- Try to find a box that pushes you to jump high and use a lot of force through the hip flexor
Ankle strength & mobility
- Jumping is a ton of force on our bodies we need to work from the ground up.
- Starts with ankles and even the toes
- Preferrably use flat shoes or barefoot
- In an alternative lunge position, find a light weight suitable for you and place on top of your knee
- Do 12 reps with 6 second holds for each rep
- Push the knee directly over the toes
- (should feel in front and back of ankle maybe even calf
- There should be no pain
Sissy squats (knee protection)
- Jumper’s knee is one of the most common ailments among dunkers.
- Sissys squats are fantastic to hit the full range of the knee tendon
- They are EXTREME load so they take a long time to work up to full range and depth
- Start by engaging glutes & core
- Slowly lower your body pushing knees over toes
- Without pain lower to the floor (onto a pad)
- Push back up keeping core & glutes engaged *key*
- This exercises targets the VMO quad muscle that’s often missed
- Hollow body planks 2 min
- Standard plank 2 min
- Ab wheel 2 x sets of 20
- Hanging leg raises 20 middle, 20 each side
If you want to see more workouts like this make sure to follow Steven Celi and Jed North on Instagram!